Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christmas gifts

Last year Christmas got me thinking a bit. After checking my presents (I hope you received the ones you wanted to) I came to the conclusion that my loved ones have difficulties in giving me books for gifts. I mean that the majority of my reading comes from fantasy and horror genres and these genres I cover almost immediately through review copies, advance buying options on Amazon and my visits to local library. Still I enjoyed this Christmas gifts which added to my mystery collection: 4 Agatha Christie and 6 Georges Simenon novels. But I passed my thinking period quickly because the best of the best (I’m happy with every gift don’t get me wrong) is the one that came immediately after Christmas and offered by my lovely wife: the complete collection of “30 Days of Night” graphic novels (one of them I couldn’t catch on the photo) and the graphic novels adaptation of Thomas Ligotti’s “The Nightmare Factory”. You can imagine my surprise and joy. And I hope that everyone had at least one moment of great joy around the holidays :)

7 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

It is the unexpected gifts that put an extra bounce into your spirit.

ediFanoB said...

Unexpected gifts are great, especially you get it from your wife or husband.

You know I#m not a fan of horror but I read a lot bout The Nightmare Factory.

I would like to know whether you would recommend it or not.

Mihai A. said...

Barbara, all those unexpected surprises (pleasant ones :)) spice our holidays and life :)

Michael, I have a few graphic novels before that, but I should get to it pretty soon I think :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That´s a great gift for sure! :-)

Let us know later what you thought of the "30 Days" novels!

Mihai A. said...

Fabio, it certainly is :) And I'll try to make a review for each title after reading them :)

Anonymous said...

i heard about Thomas Ligotti but i didn`t have the oportunity to read it...i gues that 30 days it`s good comic book, i didn`t read it either, but a i have all of them somewhere on my pc :D shame on me

Mihai A. said...

Bogdan, I plan to read and see the works of Thomas Ligotti this year. I have "Teatro Grottesco" and I'll buy his upcoming book "My Work is Not Yet Done", an reprint actually because it appeared in 2002 :)